Thursday, August 6, 2009

Time to discover American literature.


Ernest Hemingway,

My knowledge of American literature is pretty restrictive. My literature classes focused only in French and Haitian literature. It happened that we discovered sometimes a writer that doesn't belong to either Haitian or French literature. I think the problem is due to a linguistic question, and also to the supremacy of French literature in Haiti. We were convinced that the French did better in philosophy and literature than other nations in modern times. In our mind, the nation that was really in competition was Germany. We didn't neglect Britain.

I think these reasons might explain my paucity of knowledge of the American literature. But later, I expand my mind to other literary influences. And actually, I read a lot of authors from different countries. But, beyond some authors like Edgar.A.Poe, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, my paucity of knowledge of American literature still remains obvious. And the fact is also I'm not very familiar with the American authors I just mentioned. I read a little bit of E. A. Poe, J. Steinbeck, and Hemingway, but it was in french.

Actually, I'm very curious to discover these authors seriously. I've only risked a glimpse in one or two of their works, and I'm convinced of their literary greatness.For Hemingway for example, "The old man and the sea" or "For whom the Bell tolls", are books that I plan to discover soon in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment